A correlation between animal abuse, family violence and other forms of community violence is proven and as of today all 50 states now have felony provisions for the worst forms of animal cruelty. In South Dakota, the most egregious acts of cruelty against any animal can now be considered a felony which not only protects animals but also our communities from violent offenders.
While we celebrate this monumental accomplishment in South Dakota, SD FACT knows it is even more important for animal protection advocates to engage in the legislative process. When lawmakers stand up for animals, we must stand up for them. So today we launch SD FACT’s new logo and mission… to advocate for the protection and humane treatment of animals in South Dakota. We support candidates and incumbents who align with these values. We advocate for humane legislation, oppose inhumane legislation, and educate the public on issues that affect animals in our Statehouse.
SD FACT is an all-volunteer, nonpartisan, nonprofit organization, incorporated by the state, and we are registered as Political Action Committee (PAC) in South Dakota. We operate as the political arm of the animal protection movement in South Dakota. SD FACT supports democrats, republicans, and independents based on their support of animal protection. We organize and mobilize volunteers in regions throughout South Dakota supporting humane-minded candidates. We raise money from compassionate citizens to donate to various campaigns at the state level. When lawmakers stand up for animals, we must stand up for them. We want lawmakers in office who develop and maintain laws that protect animals. SD FACT is the only organization in the state that can influence elections for animal protection, this is referred to electioneering. Local shelters and other non-profits can lobby but they cannot influence elections. They cannot endorse candidates, organize volunteers or raise money for humane candidates because of their 501(c)(3) tax designation. Therefore, contributions to SD FACT do not qualify as charitable contributions for federal tax purposes.
We work strategically in the South Dakota political arena to help animals, by:
• Prioritizing and developing positions on proposed legislation
• Meeting with South Dakota elected officials
• Organizing grassroots legislative networks through a network of volunteer Community Coordinators
• Mobilizing SD FACT members to communicate with legislators
• Publishing an annual SD Humane Scorecard on incumbents’ voting records
• Keeping our members informed through periodic updates
• Educating South Dakota citizens and their elected representatives on how the choices we make through our the legislature impact the humane treatment of animals
• Utilizing news and social media to promote animal welfare issues in South Dakota
Visit our website at www.sdfact.org to learn more, make a contribution and join our effort because when lawmakers stand up for animals, we must stand up for them.